Monday 14 June 2010

The times they are a changing



The image capturing tools that I use in my job include a Sinar view camera, a pair of medium format Rollei SL66’s and my own digital Canon EOS bodies.

The vast majority of product photography done by me is shot on medium format tungsten balanced film. I go through anywhere up to 600 rolls per year.

I phoned my photolab three weeks ago to order one hundred rolls. I was then informed that they only had twenty rolls in stock and would order the rest. Five minutes later, they rang back and told me that it had been discontinued and that there were only twenty rolls available. Period.

 My favourite artificial light film. No more available

A quick visit to Kodak’s website said:

Due to significantly decreased sales volumes, Kodak is ceasing production of KODAK EKTACHROME 64T Professional Film (EPY). Based on current usage demand, product is expected to be available in the market through early 2010.
Kodak actively evaluates its professional film portfolio to ensure it's consistent with customer demands; decisions regarding product discontinuations are largely based on customer demand and sales
.“

A feeling of unease begins to set in so I ask if there is any Fuji equivalent available. Half an hour later my call is returned and I am reliably informed that there are only ninety rolls left in EUROPE!! Naurally I ordered them and they arrived last week.

 The last ninety rolls of Fuji 64T

I can’t however (at the time of writing this), find any mention of its discontinuance on the Fuji website.

Yes, I know what you’re thinking. „ Just switch to digital“. That will definitely happen but I find it somewhat disappointing to see such a great film being discontinued.

I’ve been using it since the early eighties. Perhaps I’ll keep one box back to give to a photomuseum!

 Feeding the beast

Oh well. 'til next time.

2 comments:

  1. May you live in interesting times! The full transition to digital is still in progress it seems. -Michael James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Michael. I'm now pricing a Hasselblad digital system :o)

    ReplyDelete